Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dream

Another of the words of inspiration on the desktop of my computer is actually a phrase from the Old Testament: "Do all that is in your heart."


I don't know how you hear those words.  Maybe they sound like an order to you, or maybe they sound like a dare.  To me, they sound gentle.  They are permission: a paid ticket, an arm extended to the horizon, a soft nudge and whisper, an open door.


Where I used to live, I had to drive up a steep hill to go home.  As my car ascended, the incline hid the neighborhood beneath so that I felt that I was driving right into the sky.  Only at the last minute did the road appear under my tires, reassuringly solid, while the houses flashed into view as if I had crossed into another world entirely.


"Do all that is in your heart."  Those words fill me with that same thrill of possibility, that same sense that a door is opening within me and inviting me inside.  I need that kind of encouragement on days when I am too busy to create, on days when the full kitchen sink or the paid work waiting on my desk demand that I give them everything I have.  Obligation is a bold and heartless thief.


When I invoke this phrase, "Do all that is in your heart," it acts as a kind of force-field against the obligation that harries me.  It reminds me that I have permission to create.  The doors are open to me.  I can pass through them into whatever horizon appears to receive me.

Read my debut space adventure novel for kids: Dawn Hyperdrive and the Galactic Handbag of Death!  You can buy a copy at Amazon or Smashwords, and you can try the first chapter free at my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment