Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Overgrown

For the first part of Dawn Hyperdrive, the muses were with me.  I had ideas.  I was curious about the story. I was having fun.  But one day I opened the file and didn't know what to write next.  And I looked over the first half of what I had written and saw this:



It seemed rambling and disconnected, and it wore me out.  What have I done? I panicked.  Here I've been taking time away from work to play with this thing, and it's a mess!  Once I calmed down, I closed the file and thought, I'll look at it later.  Maybe it'll make sense to me later.


I have a file on my computer where all of my old stories go to die.  Every once in a while, when I'd remember that I had a first name and a soul and was not just "Mom," I'd start a story.  I'd get excited about it for a while.  And then it would end up in my digital literary graveyard.  I didn't want to admit it, but my toy car looked like it was broken - maybe forever.  The overgrown, half finished ramble was probably going to stay overgrown and half finished.


Through a series of writing jobs over the next few months, I learned some things about myself and the way I write.  I need structure and a plan.  I need to write in order.  And I need to be flexible enough to let things grow a little outside the lines.
 
Dawn Hyperdrive and the Galactic Handbag of Death is available here for Kindles and Kindle apps, and here for other e-readers like Nook and Kobo.  You can try the first chapter for free at my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment